VALVE SPRING REPLACE

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

VALVE SPRING REPLACE

Postby DessauSpeed » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:12 am

Hey guys, I had a valve spring break the other day, and managed to replace it while the head was on the car. I borrowed my buddy's spring compressor. I was worried that there may not be enough space between the head and frame rail, but it all worked out. My car has NGK plugs, so my standard bosch compression tester fitting would not work for pressurizing the cylinder. I tried the rope trick, but could not find rope dense enough that was thin enough to fit through the plug hole. Fed like 30ft in there with an ice pick. Waste of time. Anyway, I ended up making at tool, but hollowing out an old plug, and gluing it to some air compressor fittings. It took an hour or so to finally hollow out the plug, but it ended up working great. Since I could not find a vid of this process for VW motors on YouTube, I made one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL4UlHpoInE
DessauSpeed
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: VALVE SPRING REPLACE

Postby RVosari » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:16 am

Brian,

I notice that you have "double" (vs. single) valve springs...do you have an unusually high lift cam?
Are these CB springs ?

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DessauSpeed » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:31 pm

These are the springs that where in the motor when i got it. it's a CB motor. 2165cc. I bought the replacement springs from them as well. The same thing happened on the other side of the motor about 3 years ago. The car has about 35,000km on it...
DessauSpeed
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:14 pm

That's interesting...I have a similar Pat Down's motor built about 5 years ago...it does not use dampers or dual springs... :-k

Milage is much lower though...around 1,500 miles...

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical